West Core Drilling is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all our staff, contractors and clients.
We have built upon our extensive experience in the mineral drilling industry to put in place well documented systems and procedures, which have been further augmented by an Occupational Health and Safety Management Plan commissioned from Tracmin. This is available digitally at the rig site on a laptop computer, both for review and training of our staff and for audit by clients.
At West Core we believe that the keys to a safe working environment are to have safety at the forefront of all our employees' thinking through extensive and continued mentoring/training and through good communication.
West Core Drilling staff undertake regular training, which is provided both "on the job" and also by third party training providers. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Induction to WCD policies and standard operating procedures, revised annually and on an as needs basis
- MARCSTA inductions
- Senior First Aid - as a minimum all drillers and trainee drillers
- 4WD training
- Fire extinguisher training
- Working at heights training
- Hazard identification and risk assessment
- Certificate II in Drilling Operations - all our offsiders who complete the probationary period have either attained or are enrolled in Certificate II.
- Certificate III in Drilling Operations - all our trainee drillers and drillers have either attained or are enrolled in Certificate III.
- Certificate IV in Drilling Operations - all our senior drillers and supervisors have either attained or are enrolled in Certificate IV.
Training also occurs on a daily basis and is recorded on our digital, daily drilling reports. All staff are encouraged to take ownership of safety issues. Tool box meetings take place weekly and involve all drill crew (both shifts) and client personnel who wish to attend - we encourage participation by our clients. Minutes of tool box meetings are emailed to clients.